This post is part of a sponsored campaign with The Allstate Foundation and MomSelect. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
However, I am happy October is here for one big reason: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and it is very important to spread the news about how to help victims and get support for them! Here are some scary stats about domestic violence:
- Domestic violence happens more than 145 times each hour in the U.S
- On average, three women die every day as a result.
- Domestic violence affects one in four women in their lifetime – that’s more women than breast cancer, ovarian cancer and lung cancer combined - so it is definitely an issue that needs support and our help!
- Only about half of Americans say they would know how to help a victim of domestic violence.
- Lacking financial knowledge and resources is the number one indicator of whether a domestic violence victim will stay, leave or return to an abusive relationship.
But there is something you can do for both people you know and don't know who are suffering domestic violence!
As part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Purple Purse, The Allstate Foundation’s symbol for domestic violence, proudly represents a woman’s way to escape the cycle of abuse by gaining financial independence. Now in its third year, The Allstate Foundation’s Purple Purse campaign has pledged to donate up to $350,000 to the YWCA for programs designed at assisting survivors of domestic violence and other women in need. Domestic violence is an issue that impacts millions, but few talk about it. Purple Purse helps people carry on conversations and pass information about domestic violence and financial abuse by placing the power directly into people’s hands with a purple purse.
The Allstate Foundation will donate up to $350,000 to YWCA for programs that support victims of domestic violence and build financial empowerment.
Visit Facebook or PurplePurse.com for more information and to follow the purple purses on their journey around the country, track the YWCA’s progress toward their goal to earn $350,000 from The Allstate Foundation and get tips to help you start talking about domestic violence.
Get involved in this great Purple Purse campaign this October and don't let another victim quietly suffer!!!
* Disclosure: This post is part of a sponsored campaign with The Allstate Foundation and MomSelect. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*