A gift card was given for review for my honest opinion. No other compensation was given.
Did you know it is National Watermelon Day tomorrow??? August 3rd marks a day to celebrate Watermelon and its refreshing juiciness, spit seeds as far as you can and get a juicy watermelon mustache!
To celebrate National Watermelon Day, I have some fun facts about Watermelon and also some tasty food suggestions to help you celebrate this fruity day!
Check out these fun facts about Watermelon and use it to look really smart as you eat your Watermelon with others!
Fun Facts About Watermelon
And if you are looking to try some new ways to eat Watermelon on National Watermelon Day, head to your local Applebee's and try their new wood fired grill salads incorporating seasonal summer staples like Grilled Watermelon, Spicy Shrimp and Blackened Chicken!
- Watermelon Is a Fruit AND a Vegetable!
- All parts of a watermelon can be eaten, even the rind, which actually contains a number of nutrients too.
- The watermelon is the official state vegetable of Oklahoma.
- Wild watermelons originated in southern Africa.
- There are more than 1200 varieties of watermelon that come in various weights, shapes, sizes and red, orange, yellow or white in color.
Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar
Taking center stage in Applebee’s arsenal of new offerings in anticipation of National Watermelon Day on August 3 is the NEW Grilled Watermelon and Spicy Shrimp Salad, a fresh combination of grill-seared watermelon prepared with a house-made mint-Greek yogurt dressing.
· NEW Southwestern Steak Salad: Hand-Cut Wood Fired USDA Choice Top Sirloin Steak paired with chimichurri, pico de gallo, corn and black bean salsa, cheddar, crispy tortilla strips and a creamy house-made cilantro ranch dressing.
· NEW Spicy Blackened Grilled Chicken, Avocado and Grapefruit Salad: Mixed greens, pickled in-house red onions, cilantro leaves and house-made champagne vinaigrette.
· NEW Crispy Chicken ‘N Spicy Cornbread Salad: Mixed greens, made-in-house jalapeno cornbread croutons, grape tomatoes, shredded cheddar, applewood-smoked bacon and buttermilk dressing.
I recently got a date night with my hubby and we headed off to Applebee's to try these delicious looking Wood Fired Grill salads!
It was a super hard choice but I chose the Spicy Blackened Grilled Chicken, Avocado and Grapefruit Salad because I really like Avocado!
And I was really happy with my choice! It was really refreshing with the fruity Grapefruit, perfectly cooked moist chicken and the avocado to compliment it all! I love the mix of flavors and ingredients - I definitely recommend! I can't wait to try the NEW Grilled Watermelon and Spicy Chicken Salad next time! It look so good too!
Win a $100 Applebee's Gift Card!Also, from July 20 – August 3 YOU can enter for a chance to win a $100 gift card to Applebee’s by submitting YOUR favorite salad recipe via Applebee’s Twitter or Instagram using the #WoodFired hashtag or their best #WatermelonSmile (using the fruit to make a smiley face).
Have fun celebrating National Watermelon Day and don't forget to try out your new found fun facts about Watermelon and try the new Wood Fired Grill Salads from Applebee's!
You can find your local Applebee's here!
* Thank you to Applebee's for their product for review! Disclosure - A Gift Card was given for review for my honest opinion. No other compensation was given.*